Monday, August 6, 2007

where are you now, Frank Goetz?

Earlier I wrote about our pal Frank Goetz who was a counselor in the early and mid-80s from Switzerland. Here's what happened to Frank after his FV time, in Frank's own words:
After doing the mandatory 17-week boot camp in the Swiss army, I took a double major in Philosophy & German Literature at the University of Basle and finished my studies in 1991 with a MA in Philosophy. My first job took me to Berlin where for 4 years I was part of an international research project, editing the works & notebooks of Friedrich Nietzsche, a 19th century German philosopher. My contribution to that project was supposed to be my PhD, but the work in the archives left me so estranged from everyday life that I decided to leave the academic world altogether. I returned to Switzerland in 1995 and worked as a freelance journalist for several years, only to find that writing book & movie reviews on a daily basis wasn?t making me happy either. I wanted to be closer to people, and the memories of the summers in FV and of the countless ski camps I had worked in during my university years led me to what I am doing today ? working with kids & teenagers as a crisis counselor. Yep, I'm a social worker now, and last summer I married a girl I met 8 years ago. We spent our honeymoon exploring the American Southwest and loved every minute of it. What a beautiful country that is!
I remember many wonderful things about Frank, but here's one trivial yet nonetheless interesting note: Frank spent a bunch of years (as a kid?) living in Short Hills, NJ, and spoke English not just fluently but with a perfect suburban New Jersey accent. It got to the point that the campers from Joisey refused to believe he was an international, even when he was the coach of Switzerland during the Olympics. What made matters still more confusing: he became a dear friend of Carolyn Doris, who was from...Short Hills.