Monday, August 6, 2007

Eric Blum's week at camp

See this link for Eric's summary of his month at camp in 2009.

As I mentioned in an earlier entry, Eric Blum waits all year so that he can consume his entire annual vacation (and then some) to come to work at Frost Valley. He does get paid but donates every dollar of his salary to camp as a contribution. His position is known informally as "camp schlep." He will do anything to help, high- or low-level stuff. He is always there to drive. (This is something along the lines of what Sandy Shapiro Bohn does during the first half of the summer.) Eric is medically trained and is a terrific back-up during various crises, which unfortunately do occur at camp. And, what's more, he is a miracle in himself, as he's on dialysis and has been for years (and presumably came to FV first because of our program for people with renal disease). Here is an excerpt of the recent update from camp I received (the rest can be read here):
I am completing my first week of 4 up here and I couldn't be happier as I am sure my colleauges are at my "real job" are very happy to have a respite from having to hear such camp classics as "Baby Duck" and "Here at Wawayanda" being sung throughout the corridors of the O.R. where I work, and seem to increase in frequency and loudness the closer I get to making my annual trip.... [On] Tuesday and Wednesday I lifeguarded for a couple villages and just helped out. While I was lifeguarding for a Tacoma cabin I witnessed the FV magic: one camper, who I later found out couldn't swim, was really tentative about getting in the water; as she saw her cabinmates having such a great time she began inching closer to the water. With a lot of encouragement from her cabin she finally "took the plunge" and got into the water to just above her knees. If you could have seen the look on her face: it was priceless. Her bunk cheered her on and as we were leaving she promised that next time she'd be getting on one of the tubes. What a huge accompishiment for this child.... Friday evening I found myself out at Mongaup pond to meet up with the CIT's. Their leaders Gail Morris and Nick Dalrymple had askied if I would come out and just talk about my experiences at camp and to give them a little pep talk. Even though these 12 CIT's were cold, tired, dirty, and wet, they represented our organization in a way that made me proud. I assured them that they are our present and future. The ranger paid them the greatest compliment I think some one can give a group like this: even though they were the largest group, they were the best behaved. As I was leaving they were singing my most favorite camp song "Daddy won't you take back to Old Wawayanda" (one of the CIT's mentioned that her uncle had help to pen the FV version).... Through this enitre week I have again witnessed the magic of Frost VAlley", and it only reenforces why I return each year, even if my colleauges at work can't understand why I spend my vacation working here-maybe this year I will learn a new song to sing (even louder) throughout the corridors of UVa's operating room. The moon is rising over wildcat and camp is settling down for the evening. And as the song says: "Wawayanda spirit never did die". Smile that WAWAYANDA SMILE.