Sunday, August 19, 2007

emergency: turns out to be just a gassy stomach

When I recently cornered Mark Gottdenker and Eric Blum and asked them to tell me a camp story, I could have predicted that it would have something to do with a medical emergency. After all, most of Blum's FV time has had something to do with being a medical first-responder. I won't tell more about the story than that. It's definitely an instance of the bizarre ongoing Gottdenker-Blum Show, thus not entirely comprehensible to the sane outside world, but I'll bet that 40% of those who listen to the audio will be able to follow it. To the rest of you, well, you can just enjoy the tone, the absolute sense of fraternalism and buddyism that these two camp characters always evince. Camp guys through and through. Gottdenker's first summer was as a camper in '79 and I remember him (for some reason--why?) very clearly that summer. Since I was the camp director then, I'm suspecting it was either because he was homesick or ill-behaved, or possibly both at once. Next time I see Mark I'll ask him.

Oh yes: I didn't get a photo of Mark and Eric together. Above you say Jeff Daly and Eric on the rainy check-out day, end of session 3 this summer. Good enough, I'd say; these two are lifelong pals in the same sort of way.