Wednesday, August 1, 2007

happy daughters come home

At right: Ruth Krotchko & Phyllis Gherardi, 1984

Ruth Krotchko (now Ruth DiGiacomo) was a camper and counselor years ago (CIT in 1982; JC in '83; counselor in '84) and for the past few summers has sent her twin daughters, Jessica and Rebecca, to camp. This summer they spent two weeks in Tacoma. Here is Ruth's report on the beginning of the drive home immediately after the girls' time at camp was over:
So, when I picked up the girls from FV last Friday it was non-stop chatter about everything - friends, dodgeball, overnight, dining hall, cheers, Geronimo, olympix! everything. I had my two nephews along in the car, so half way down Rt 17 I pulled off to get them ice cream. We got back in the car and I was immediately engaged in their stories again, camp this and camp that. They mentioned you [she's writing this to Bill Abbott] were there when Al was telling the story about the plane crash. Next thing I realized I was coming up to the Liberty exit - I went the wrong way on the highway and went all the way back to where I got onto Rt 17!! So I had to turn around and go all the way back again... Anyway, they convinced me to agree to two sessions next summer (they pushed for three sessions but I can't afford it!). They are already pumped up for Windsong and even looking beyond that to applying to the CIT program. I hope the fever sticks... they also talk about studying abroad in high school so it seems I will have increasing challenges reeling them back home as they continue to exercise their independence.
Ruth's brother John was involved at Frost Valley and her dad was for many years a member of FV's Board of Trustees and I believe served as a chaplain for the Board.

For a photo of Ruth and Phyllis at the 2006 reunion, wearing t-shirts designed for the occasion by Dari Litchman, click here.