Thursday, July 31, 2008

once and always

Conversation in the dining hall late last week. At the table there's Vi, Dave Mager's 4-year-old daughter, Dave Mager himself, me, and Melissa Pauls. Vi had been attending day camp and can't wait until she's old enough for resident camp.

Vi to Al: "Is it true that you were my dad's camp director."

Al, looking at Dave: "Yes, it's true. Your dad was a camper here when I was the camp director."

pause

Vi: "Are you still his camp director."

Smile comes over Dave.

Al: "Yes, if your dad wants me to be his camp director I will always be his camp director. Whenever he wants."

Pause. Four-year-old ponders.

Vi: "When I come to camp, will I have a camp director?"

Dave: "Yes, Vi, you will."

Vi: "And will he always be my camp director?"

Yes, we say in unison. Yes, yes, yes.

- - - - -

And from Andy Wiener in response to the above: "What a great exchange. I've had similar conversations with my kids. You will always be our director, Al. Always."