Saturday, July 12, 2008

girls at Wawayanda

In the early days of what was called "Girls' Camp," or, more formally, "Camp Wawayanda for Girls," it seems that the organization felt the need to persuade parents that Wawayanda at Frost Valley was really serious about wanting girls to enroll. Their approach will seem dubious to us today, for sure. But here is a brochure from (I'm guessing) around 1965 or so, a few years after Girls' Camp (later Camp Henry Hird) was founded and situated in 20 cabins above the lake. The "Girls' Dining Hall" was not completed until '66, I believe.

A word on where I got this image. Elizi LeBard (who worked full-year at Frost Valley for several years) scanned some historical photographs and materials while at camp and led me to them online. She's now in Tempe, Arizona right now, working at a day camp and going to school, and we wish her well - and welcome her to the alumni family. At some point, unless you're Bud Cox, you're inevitably away.

For the past few summers Lizi specialized in Staff Lounge Diner Night. Mmmmmm, diner food was always just what the Staff Morale Doctor ordered.

Myra Margolis (now Myra Margolis Katz) remembers:

I was taken with the flyer from girls camp as I started in 1963 and ended as a LIT (aka dishwasher) in 1969. I remember when we only had nine cabins (I started in 3 with Bev Gross and Karen something) and finished in 19. We spent much of our day (or so it seemed) walking back and forth to boys camp for 3 meals a day, up and down the hills, often in rain and mud to eat in a cramped little space with a wall separating us from the boys. I remember standing in line (each cabin had its own line) singing "Here we stand like birds in the wilderness waiting to be fed" over and over. I would like to know if any readers of the blog date back to this and would love to hear their memories. Camp was one of the highlights of my life, made me grow and more independent.