Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hogan invasion from down under

Here is a photo of Elise Hogan (the blonde), counselor in Lakota Village - taken just an hour ago in the dining hall during Wawayanda's lunchtime hoopla.

Elise is a niece of Cathy ("Cath") Hogan. I'll let Cath, with passion, tell the whole story:

Cath Hogan here from the wonderful land of down under.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your most wonderful, engaging and continuous Frost Valley updates.

Your efforts and passion for Frost Valley are greatly recognized and appreciated, especially by me from this end of the earth.

Al, I have never forgotten Frost Valley. The amazing and most wonderful memories of my three visits in the years of ’84, ’85 and again in ’88 for two weeks have remained with me since the day I first arrived.

I have spoken passionately about FV for what will be 24 years this June. My passion has never weathered, but has lived on and been shared with many Australians that I have recommended to Frost, some of which have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to work a summer or more there.

A wonderful Frost Valley story I wish share with you is about a Frost Valley Promise ….

Twenty three years ago, in 1984, I formed very close bonds and connected friendships with Eileen Bradley, Jen DeMelle and Ruth Krotchko.

All three of those amazing young people (at that time, ha ha) made a promise to me, twenty three years ago, that they would visit me in Australia!

In April 2006, Eileen Bradley and Jen Grant (DeMelle) together, side by side, walked through the doors of Coffs Harbour Regional Aiport (where I live in Australia) to be met by the most excited Aussie you could ever witness.

There we were, back in each others arms once again, twenty three years later. Eileen and Jen spent time with me in my beach village home in Sawtell, met my family, sang Four Strong Winds together and spent time face to face (literally) with Australian Wildlife Bradley got chased up a tree by a rather large Red Kangaroo. The girls also spent time with Liz Horne and Nikki and Eileen finally got to see a Wombat living in its wild living environment, which was her long time Australian goal.

A Frost Valley dream …. (apart from the visit)

It has been a dream of mine to have a member of my family attend Frost Valley so that it may always live on …. (for me)

This year, my two nieces, Nicole and Elise and my partner’s daughter Casey have all been accepted to work this summer.

Oh my God, I am thrilled beyond words …. A dream has really and truly come true for me !!!!!

The beautiful Ruth DiGiacomo (Krotchko) and I have never lost our very close bond and friendship. Ruth will be picking up the girls and seeing them safely into Frost Valley.

Another dream comes true ….

My partner Jen and I will be arriving into Newark on August 4th, being picked up by Ruth, staying some time with her and heading out to Frost Valley.

Al, I have kept every letter ever sent to me during my world travels all those years ago and then some.

I found:

1) My letter of acceptance written in 1984 by Terry Murray.

2) The Frost Valley Newsletter from 1984 containing a photo of all staff and the names of the International Counselors accepted that year.

3) I still have in my possession a Frost Valley t/shirt that I purchased from the shop in 1984.


Above: The amazing too-talented 1984 Tacoma staff (cabins 31-35).