Wednesday, July 16, 2008

fine memories on clear days

Another clear day and fine memories. Not a cloud to be seen. Temps in the 80s, coming up from cool 50s at dawn. Beech trees' leaves shaking in a 3 mph breeze. Sound of Biscuit Creek coming over the falls and of course kids squealing on the soccer field, hardcourts, on the way to the waterfront with dry (for a change) towels. The two photos below this entry were taken just five minutes ago.

Reading these entries, I realize, makes a lot of folks remember such days precisely. I got about a dozen messages just yesterday. Below is one, from Mette Osterby, a Danish counselor who come back again three times after a first summer. Addicted. There's a little FV in Denmark at Mette's house. Here is a pic of Mette and her two girls taken this summer.

And here is Mette's nice note:

Just read your blog today about old staff sending their kids to FV. Got so nostalgic. My kids, 8 and 11, know all about FV and heaps of cheers and tales as well. Reading about the clear nights and bright days just makes me want to go back so badly. Think I´ll work on returning with my family next year if we can find a way to do so- I went to Fv during the same years as Dave Gold and Dave Mager, so your blog really got me. Make sure to send my love to those guys. Especially Mager, whom I knew the best being co VCs of Pokey-Totem. Have a wonderful summer. I´ll be thinking of you all wondering if Denmark has an Olympic team this year. - Mette Osterby, Denmark (86, 88, 89, 90 )



Claudia Swain adds this: "When Mette U. returned to camp in 1988 she had knitted [the Swains' older son] Bradley the most adorable outfit --(in Danish flag colors!) of his life. Danny [younger Swain son] wore it, though he never met Mette, and it is folded carefully, in the memory box, waiting for the next little boy....GREAT to see Mette's picture and to see her beautiful children!