Friday, July 4, 2008

hears the music, feels the hope

Our old friend Rick Wormeli just recently discovered this blog. He wrote me an email filled with characteristic enthusiasm and below you see part of that. Rick came to us via Carolyn Shelburne (I believe) from Virginia. He was or quickly became the Totem VC and in a few years was the camp director of the younger of the two camps, Camp Wawayanda, the second or third summer (if I remember rightly) that Hird was the older and Wawayanda the younger (split by age rather than sex, in other words). Rick was a beloved showman, often wore costumes, spoke to us through puppets, and went into a funny mode where his limbs were limber and clownish (like the Scarecrow in Oz). The little kids adored him. Here's Rick:

I’m laughing at the Rick Wormeli doll idea. It would need 8 limbs, each with multiple rotating joints and uber-flexibility to resemble the current live version, but wow, what a great thing to put on a skateboard (or mountain board as I see FV has) and send shooting down a steep slope with lots of twists and turns! We’d have to put a little computer chip recording of “Hula Hop” or “Here at Wawayanda and Henry Hird” that play when you raise its arm…maybe some cabin lists as well?

Thanks for doing the Alumni blog. I just found it tonight, and I read every entry, including the over 9-minute video, “Hope You Had the Time of Your Life.” What a rush of nostalgia and true joy! I’m sorry to hear about Chuck, though, and Oran, too, and heck, John Ketcham as well! Afua looks great. I remember many long nights working with her when she was on staff. She was one of the highlights that summer. I can’t believe your Ben and Pete and Claudia’s Brad are on staff – this blows my mind!

This was sure cool to catch up and get Frost Valley pumping through my system again. I can hear the music – share the warmth – find the laughter – and feel the hope. What a worthy spring from which to drink! I look forward to your future posts.