Saturday, July 28, 2007

'94 Pokey VC hits Hollywood big-time

Karen Carnegie, known to many at FV as "KC," has stayed in close touch with me and us although she's in faraway Los Angeles. I didn't work with KC directly (she came of age after my time, although I do believe she was a camper in my last summers as director--yes, in '85, my last summer on staff, KC was a Sacky girl so indeed she was in the Hird when I was Hird director) but I have come to know and admire her in recent years. When a few of us went to L.A. in September '06 to host an "Frost Valley West" gathering at Rafik Melek Ghobrial's home, K.C. was there of course. She attended the Labor Day '06 reunion and brought with her several great cartoon drawings she'd done--to sell them at our campership auction (they went for a lot of money). The photo here was taken in 1994 when KC was the Pokey VC. The counselor behind her is Bernadette. Elizabeth is the camper to the left of KC and Nicole is below. Yesterday, KC wrote:
I'm out here in Burbank, California, where we've just started to enter into the hot part of summer, with temperatures getting towards the 100s in the non-frosty San Fernando Valley. [Temps in the] 50s with a jacket sounds really nice! Perfect for a campfire. A little plug for the Simpsons Movie, which hits theaters this weekend! Originally I was slated to stay on the series (they split the crew in half then hired new folks to fill out both crews) but as the year went along, more and more artists were pulled onto the feature, and I got drafted into the madness as well. So if anyone decides to go see it, and then stays for the credits, you'll see me on there! (Karen Carnegie Johnson) Names are sorted by studio, and I'm listed under "Stacked Animation Laboratory". This name is a big spoof -- I was part of a small group of artists lent out by Film Roman to work in a double-wide trailer on the Fox movie lot near the writers and producers. The trailer's previous occupant was the production staff for the short-lived book-store-set Pamela Anderson show "Stacked". The "Stacked" sign and poster were up the whole time we were in there, so it became a running joke. Anyhoo, it's my first feature credit, so I'm pretty excited about it.
So that's the Frost Valley news from Hollywood.