Wednesday, July 2, 2014

technology basket: put your cell phones here

At the recent first weekly VC meeting ("activity meeting" for planning the week's schedules for each village), on Monday night, I was sitting at the table getting ready for the start of the session, whipped out my cell phone (because I knew Geyer Hall had a wireless network and I had the password to it). Just as I was getting my phone connected, a basket appeared under my nose, along with the polite encouragement of someone: "Put your cell phones in the technology basket, please." And so I did. As did everyone else. This prevented any of us from succumbing to the temptation (let's say, during someone's announcement about making sure kids wear bathing suits down to the waterfront) to reach into the pocket and sneak a look at texts or emails. The basket was pretty full! No one fetched his or her phone from the basket until the meeting was finished - and then, of course, they left the building and wandered back to their villages, on the side of a mountain in a valley where there is still, thank goodness, no cell service.

Well, no one removed their phones from the basket during the meeting except yours truly, who guiltily removed his own phone from the basket in order to take a few photos of it.



In the first photo, the close-up of the basket, you might notice Dan's daughter Ruby on his phone. He made sure Ruby's adorable visage glowed on the phone when I took the pic.