Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pokey-Totem is back from their overnight

Last night it dropped to around 50 degrees, maybe a little into the upper 40s. Amazing for July. I used two blankets and was still a little chilly. The stars were all out and even after one of my longest days ever here - activities from first thing until well after 11 PM - I decided to drop by Outpost CQ where they were grilling chicken that had been marinated for a day, and some steaks. They were kind enough to offer me the first taste of the chicken, whereupon I'd had enough and walked home. But walking home in the chilly night with a dome of stars above: revivifying!

Pokey-Totem and Hemlock were both out on overnights last night, and what a night for sleeping out it was! This morning as I walked to breakfast I heard little kids calling my name, and turned to find the Pokey-Totemites sitting around on some benches behind Hayden Lodge having their bagel-and-cream cheese breakfast. I snapped these two photos. They were sleep but very happy and I hear all kinds of stories about skunks ("they came and looked through my backpack!") and stars ("How many were there?" I asked. "So many!" said one kid).