Monday, July 14, 2014

Jon Cryer and his mom, Lalani

Years and years ago there was a camper here named Jon Cryer. Some years later I walked into my classroom at the University of Pennsylvania and there was this same fellow, Jon Cryer. Not unusual, I suppose, for a Frost Valley kid to end up attending Penn, but it's a big university and the chances that one of my campers would become one of my students were pretty slim. Jon was a terrific student. Later he went to medical school, and much later -- many years later -- I was in the hospital to accompany one of my own kids and there was Jon, now a Resident doctor! Somewhere along the line, earlier, Jon's mother, Lalani, spent three or four summers on the staff of our dialysis program at Frost Valley as an expert in the restricted diets of kidney patients. It must have been during those summers that Jon was a camper. All these connections came back to me recently when I saw Lalani Cryer Viney again here, on the day the Board of the Gottscho Foundation visited. Lalani is on the Gottscho Board. And here, at right, are the two of us.