Tuesday, August 19, 2014

pizza angel

Last night I drove from Philadelphia back to camp. I figured I'd be arriving at around 10:30 PM so, on the way, I stopped at a pizza place in Middletown, picked up a pepperoni, a mushroom and a chicken pizza. When I arrived I warmed it in the Geyer Hall kitchen's oven and went out looking for needy fourth-session hungry/tired staff. I passed by the program office in Margetts Lodge and saw some hard-working but bedraggled folks there. Stopped in, they said "Hi, Al!" and then their heads went back down to their work. I said, "Do you prefer mushroom, pepperoni, and chicken?" Heads back up. Quizzical looks. "A pizza. Do you want a pizza?" "Here? Now? Really?" "Yes!" "Chicken!!" they shouted. It was warm and ready, and I brought it in. Their moods lightened immediately and we all started talking and laughing. Amazing how little it takes here at camp to make people happy. The video below gives you a sense of it!

Later I did the same at the Hemlock (pepperoni) and Lakota (mushroom) CQ fires. It was delightful. The sky was full of stars, the temperatures cold, the fires raging, and the pizza angel had done his thing. Final-week fun.