Monday, July 20, 2015

Geoff Hazel recalls Camp Wawayanda in the 1960s

Geoff Hazel recalls his time at Camp Wawayanda in the early to mid 1960s:

Starting from age 10 through my Junior year in High School, I went to summer camp, camp Wawayanda in the Catskill mountains. It was a YMCA camp, back when the C meant Christian. We had other religions there, too, of course -- it was the Catskills!  But I mention this because there was a Christian emphasis at the camp, however small.  I was a camper for four years, and then a Trailblazer for two more.  The Trailblazer program took a dozen or so young men of high school age up to Canada for four weeks.  Three of those were camping and canoeing around the lakes of Quebec, the fourth was for preparation and travel time.  

...


My last year at camp, I was a Junior Counsellor.  Now, the way the camp was set up, we had 5 “villages” of 5 cabins each, with eight campers in a cabin and a counsellor.  And each village had one or two Junior Counsellors.  The campers would come for a two week period, arriving on Sunday and leaving two weeks later on Saturday.  The counsellors would have two days off during the two week session, and it was the job of the Junior Counsellor to substitute for whoever was taking their days off.

My first cabin, I was really really green.  The kids were wild, and the counsellor didn’t do a very good job of keeping them in line.  I dreaded the thought of having to take these kids on myself.  But the time came for him to have his days off, and I was stuck with them.  They didn’t do anything I asked, no matter how I asked.  They’d talk, wander off, not stand in line straight at the dining hall, not clean the cabin.  I was a failure as a counsellor, and it was driving me crazy.  After two days, I had reached my limit.  During an activity period when the kids were occupied elsewhere, I walked up the mountain behind the rifle range, where there was a large, sunny field of ferns, and just bawled my heart out to God.  I told him how hard this was, and asked for His help.   And when I got back to the cabin, all of a sudden I had peace.  And I decided I wasn’t going to stress out over whether I was a failure or not, I wasn’t going to try to control these uncontrollable kids.  And, miraculously, they started behaving. 

I had been eyeing my next cabin of kids, “Doug’s” cabin.  When we went to the dining hall, the routine was for all the kids to line up in a straight, quiet line at the porch, and then we could proceed inside.  Doug’s kids were always moving, and he was constantly yelling at them to line up, stand straight, quit talking!!!! I was not looking forward to that cabin.  But what a shock when I got there.  I told them to line up, and they lined up.  I told them to stop moving, and they stopped.  I never had to repeat myself.  I didn’t understand what was going on, and the mystery deepened when one camper came up to me and said “We like you lots more than Doug”.   I asked why.  He said “You don’t yell at us like he does.”   I had discovered the principle of respect reciprocity, by accident.  If people, kids or adults, don’t think or feel that they’re getting sufficient respect, they won’t give it back, but if they perceive they are respected, they have no problem reciprocating that respect.  And somehow, we had gotten off on the right foot.   From that time on, my camp experiences were trouble free.  I was the counsellor, they were the kids, and we were all here to have fun.