Wednesday, July 25, 2012

still tired, often sunburned - but happy being at camp

Kathy Steinwedel (we will remember her as Kathy King, elder child of Dave & Shirley King) tells us that she's now working at a day camp in Maryland - and that all three of her children are at the camp. It puts me in mind of the feel of the King family here in the 1960s and early 70s. Dave and Shirley doing their work and Kathy and David Jr. at first tagging along and then moving into their own places as campers and staff. Anyway, here's Kathy's update:
I am working at McDonogh, a day camp in Baltimore. I run a cooking program where I use what I have learned from "Incredible Edlible" at Frost Valley. In each session cookbook, I enclose a dedication page where I give Frost Valley credit for starting the program. McDonogh isn't Frost Valley, but I have each of the kids involved in something. Dave, now 16, works with the "Outdoor Games" program. Megan, at 15, is my Assistant in the Cooking program. Dylan, my 12 year old, is a camper in Senior Camp. At the end of the day we are tired, often sunburned, but we love it. I guess summer camp never really leaves the blood.....
And here is the text of the dedication:
Incredible Edible… Incredible Edible at McDonogh is based on a program started in the 1980s at Frost Valley YMCA in the Catskill Mountains of New York. The philosophy behind Incredible Edible is that if children learn to make healthy food choices early, they will be healthy eaters throughout their lives. In the program we started examining foods for sodium content, sugars, calories, etc. You might find your children examining labels, looking at nutrition facts, etc. as a result of the program. I encourage you to try some of these Incredible Edible recipes at home with your children. Feel free to modify them to suit the needs of your own healthy eaters! -- Miss Kathy and Megan