Thursday, July 19, 2012

of wax apples, body contortions & surprising victories

Malcolm from Forest made a wax candle out of an apple at Arts & Crafts yesterday. He was so proud of it that he had to find me in the dining hall to tell me about it. Malcolm and his sister Pia have been coming to camp for years - especially Pia who is now in Windsong after maybe 7 summers. Great kids. Malcolm performed several challenges last night at an enormous Forest - Susky - Pokey/Totem Challenge Night. Speaking of which...

...this young lady from Susky responded to the perennially favorite challenge as follows: "Send up your camper who can perform the weirdest body contortion." Whereupon she floored us all (literally, I must say - the judges fell off their chairs) with this complete fold-up routine. Holy cow.

Typically at Challenge Night as I introduce and explain Hunker Hawser (which needs no such explanation here, where there have been many entries over the years referring to and picturing bouts of that venerable "New" game), I demonstrate it by taking on a challenger myself. Usually one of the judges. I always hope for some rookie or weakling or someone willing to "throw" that contest so that I look good. I'm not really a very good Hunker Hawser player, despite years of trying my hand(s) at it. Anyway, last night the volunteer to combat me was Nick Lomauro. Nick is strong and has great balance - a real champ. As he stood up on the milk crate opposite from me, he had competitiveness in his eyes. He wanted to win. He also announced to the whole group that he hadn't lost a round of this game since 2007. That's a long time. It's 2012. I was done for. And yet...and yet....I won! Two photos below of this strange feat, taken by Sandy Shapiro Bohn, who was, once again, a crackerjack judge.