Thursday, July 12, 2012

here come the buses...are they late? are they coming at all?

Anyone who has ever worked on the admin side of things here has at least one really tortured and fun-to-tell bus story. I won't get into that. I'll just say that the folks who run our camp now more or less have it together. Maybe in my age I've fuzzied out my memories of complex disasters (buses going to the wrong destination; parents told of the wrong time for pick-up; kids put on the wrong bus; very late buses; and then no buses at all, the time we all forgot to order them). Okay, there, I seem to be telling a few stories, in short.

Two things reminded me today of the tale of the buses.

First, at lunch, it being super noisy inside the dining hall, I noticed Mike Taylor (our 2012 bus coordinator - among other duties) sitting outside trying to sort it all out.

Second: while the directors' meeting (convened to talk about check-out day - tomorrow, the end of session 1) waiting to get started, the same Mike Taylor asked me to tell a few check-out day stories. I told two. They were hair-raisingly funny. I won't tell them here. But I do like this photo, above, of Mike. I can personally remember about 25 staffers over the years given the unenviable assignment of "coordinating" the buses. I'm sure they are all good at things today - at least at balancing checkbooks, or dropping off children at the right after-school program, or planning vacations with decent accuracy. Bless them all. Thanks, and you know who you are! Thanks. I'm just glad I never myself had to do it.