Saturday, September 8, 2007

it's a boy!

The other day I reported on Stu Alexander's and others' efforts at stewardship of Frost Valley's butterflies. Well there's more butterfly news this morning.

Stu writes: "This photo is or our first born in the terrarium this year. It's a Boy! Good luck to Monarch # JBH 282 in safely reaching Mexico."

I asked Stu if we can find a better name for the little guy than "JBH 282" and I suppose he'll get back to me with that. Perhaps he'll be named Jose (for Reyes) or Carlos (for Beltran or Delgado) or even Gil (for Hodges).**

** Stu is a longtime Mets fan (taking crap from his Phillies-fan family), enjoying himself (as I am) at the moment. One Labor Day weekend years ago my kids and I were wandering the aisles of Veterans' Stadium during another awful late-season Mets-Phils game, looking for a decent hot dog, when I hear, "Al! Al! Frost Valley!" shouted from a few rows up. And there was Stu with his family, making the annual pilgrimmage back to Philly for some big-league baseball. How "big-league" it was is debatable. (Leave it to me. I just had to get baseball--humanity's most artificial activity of all--into this otherwise lyric entry on a baby butterfly...)