Saturday, July 23, 2011

they can't keep away

The summer of 1986 was a strange one for me. For the first time in 23 years I was not spending at least part of my summer at Frost Valley. I only vaguely remember the specifics of the disorientation and heartache, but I certainly recall the fact of it. I kept looking at the calendar and thinking thoughts such as: "Tonight is the opening ceremony of Olympics." Fortunately I have the opportunity to spend time here, sometimes lots of it, to this day. But most folks can't manage such things and life's commitments--all for the good, since the FV magic does its magic elsewhere as the result--encourage us to move on.

I do find it fascinating to see the reactions of those lifers, enduring their first summer out, when they come back for a visit. Smiles on the faces, here, of Shannon Mooney and Annie Galligan, belie their intense nostalgia and longing during a recent visit. At right is Mariah Bohn who is most certainly here this summer, as a counselor in Windsong--daughter of Sandra Bohn, whom you might know as Sandy Shapiro from her many years as camper and counselor years back. Sandy manages to spend some weeks (this summer = 4) here too, helping out (driving, always a huge need).