Saturday, July 18, 2009

one legend isn't enough

This summer I've been telling a story called "The Six Legends of Bud Cox." I won't say any more about the story here, but most readers can fairly well imagine what it might consist of. There's a t-shirt that goes along with the story, and here is Willie, VC of Outpost, modelling it. In Wawayanda black and orange, it says: "ask me about the six legends of Bud Cox," with an image of my own W-1 patch inserted in there. Tonight I'll drive to the farm, arriving at 8:30, to tell a story there. I always love the story-telling atmosphere there: a road almost no one travels, so it's quiet; a great open field with a fire-ring and (tonight, anyway) the stars above; super-attentive kids, exhausted and ready to listen after a day of weeding, tending livestock, cooking produce, etc.

The ubiquitous telling of this story has re-made Bud a legand for the campers, who in recent years have seen Bud around but not been able to make sense of who he is and was. Now every camper in the place runs up to Bud when he walks by, running and screaming after him as if he were the Beatles. I think Bud kinda likes that.