Thursday, July 16, 2009

Forest toasts

I joined a cabin in Forest for breakfast this morning. Counselors are Sam and Dave. Dave - David Sedden of England, and an avid reader of this blog - is the Village Chief, second summer at that position. (My instinct is that Dave is a future leader around here if he sticks with it.) Anyway, I was chatting with the boys and eating my cereal (Raisin Bran from the cereal dispenser, with some granola sprinkled on top, 0%-fat milk - but also a breakfast sausage and a few potato nugget-like thingies - and a mug of my own very strong coffee made at home) when suddenly Dave says to the group: "Okay, who's the waiter this morning." One boy raises his hand. "Well, then, you lead the toast." We all stood up. Raised our glasses of apple juice - I my mug - and the young man made a toast as follows: "I hope we have a healthful day." After we sat again, I asked Dave about this. He explained. I made an audio recording, so hear his reasons for the innovation. I like it.

The photo here shows three Forest boys on their way out after the meal. The boy at left, with the eyeglasses, is Benjamin Wechter, the son of our 1980s guy and active alum, Eric Wechter.