Monday, July 27, 2009

Oliverea NY 12462

The other day Bud stopped by where I was working and dumped on my table about 500 sheets of old old Frost Valley half-letter-sized stationery. I remember loving this retro look; it seemed retro even at the time it was designed! Of course I noticed the old address: Oliverea, NY 12462. Now we are Claryville, NY 12725. Oliverea is still on the sign as you turn off Route 28 in Big Indian: "Big Indian / Oliverea." And the old Oliverea post office is still standing--but it's a private residence (of the Van Baren family).

Notice that this design precedes Margetts Lodge. Look closely and see that the building there is the old rec hall. Notice that Hayden Lodge is there, so we can date this between 1970 (Hayden renovation) and 1975 (Margetts). I love the way the boathouse in this squished panorama seems so close to the dining hall.