Thursday, June 9, 2011

Frost Valley of the Pacific Northwest

David Scherer Water tells the following wonderful story about what happened when he looked for a camp for his son in the Seattle area. Dave knew that sending Random to Frost Valley entailed too much travel, but he hoped he'd find a little Frost Valley out there. Well, he found Camp Seymour and got a lot more of Frost Valley than he ever imagined. Here's how he tells the story:

'Living in Olympia it just wasn't practical to send Random to Frost Valley and I've always felt kind of sad about that. I looked into the closest Y camps and discovered Camp Seymour was only 40 minutes away. When Random was 4 the two of us did a family camp program and had a blast. The camp reminded me so much of Frost Valley, but I figured this was because all camps reminded me of Frost Valley. Then I met Mike. At first I didn't know that he was from Frost Valley. I even made a joke about his last name being a classic camp name and told him how there was all kinds of things named "Ketcham" at my old camp and wondered if he was part of a secret society. It was one of those small world kind of moments, the kind of uncanny coincidence that made me wonder if some mystical camp force was at work. I would have preferred to have had Random continue the tradition of going to Frost Valley (he'd be the 3rd generation of Frost Valley campers in our family), but Camp Seymour has also become very much a home for us too. I am grateful for the ways Mike transplanted a lot of the Frost Valley culture to Camp Seymour. Random continued as a camper at Seymour and has a group of camp friends that he stays in touch with. I've been to several workshops at Seymour. I think of it as the Frost Valley of the Pacific Northwest.'

-David Scherer Water
Olympia, WA