Tuesday, September 7, 2010

why Andy paid so much for the Mt. Hayden sign

Here you see Andy Wiener and family not long after Andy outbid others (including me) and took home the fabled "Mt. Hayden" sign which had for so many years graced the top of the Hayden Lodge chimney. (For those who don't know: we used to climb up that stone chimney with ropes and harnesses - rock-climbing. The sign was at the top. When you climbed up successfully you touched the sign before coming down.) Now we have the huge "Y"-shaped climbing tower and zipline set-up in another part of camp, so it seemed time to remove the Mt. Hayden sign. We auctioned it during the reunion and fetched the highest price: $1,150!

Here's Andy on why he did what he did:

I spoke truthfully while I was present in that moment. I wanted that sign because while dropping Geffen [younger daughter--at right in photo] off this season I noticed it was gone and anticipated that it would turn up. A prize to be won at auction. However I knew it must mean so much more than that to me. Really – why want it?

I’m big on symbols. Symbols, talismans, idols, icons; if it’s a graphic depiction, poem or tangible article that represents something else, I’m interested. I’m also a very sentimental guy. I couldn’t always identify it, and I wasn’t always mature enough to admit it, but I’m a grown man now so I can own it. I’m a sentimental guy.

That Mt. Hayden sign is a priceless piece that has been the signpost for all of the challenges overcome at summer camp every day for generations. What camper didn’t at some point in his stay overcome a personal challenge? Or set and achieve a personal goal? And what staff member didn’t navigate his own set of similar experiences? Ending 4th session with the same selfless enthusiasm with which you began 1st session is real challenge in itself. Barb Bartis taught me that one and I was one of her many challenges that summer I’m sure.

Campers continually need to overcome the real challenges of homesickness, learning to self-monitor their own behavior and learning to get along with – and perhaps even grow to love – people who are so very different than the people they are accustomed to spending their time with. And whether the goal is completing the low ropes course, participating in a trust fall or – wait for it – climbing Mt. Hayden, the act of setting that specific and measurable goal and working to achieve it is a valuable life lesson learned at Frost Valley but employed for an entire life’s journey .

That’s why I want this sign. And during next reunion’s auction I want a shot at taking home a cable bridge. It is, perhaps, the only worthy competitor to the symbol that is Mt. Hayden.