Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Charles Kremer (1914-2009)

Charles Kremer died on May 21 at the age of 95. The photograph here was taken on his 90th birthday at the Kremer home in Claryville. Here is a statement made by Charles' son John:

It is with a sad heart that I must write to inform you and the rest of the FV community of the recent death of my father, Charles J. Kremer; patriarch of the Kremer family, who provided many years of service to Frost Valley, spanning three generations. As you know, both of my parents, me, and all six of my siblings have work at FV over the years. That association is also responsible for the addition of three in-laws to the family!

After his retirement from the corporate world, my father found distraction from his life of leisure by briefly working in the maintenance department. He participated in the winterization of the early cabins and the first expansion of the old Thomas Lodge dining hall when Hemlock lounge, rest rooms and an enlarged kitchen were added. Our family has lived full-time in Claryville since 1972, but has summered in the area since the 50’s.

My father was a gracious man, quiet by nature, kind in sprit, and loving to his family and community. He was an ordinary man shaped by extraordinary times, and I think my brother Andy summed it up best when he said he will always be remember as the soul of our family just as our mother is the heart.

He died on May 21 in Minnesota, comforted by my mother, Marie, his wife of 65 years, and surrounded by his children and so much love. At 95, he led a full and remarkable life for which we are all blessed.

--John Kremer