Sunday, August 15, 2010

discovery! cabins from Old Wawayanda

For two days recently I visited Camp Speers-Eljabar in Dingman's Ferry, PA. My older sister Nancy attended this camp and loved it. She came to Wawayanda once (her Tacoma summer) and was unhappy the entire time--missed her beloved Speers, with its gorgeous lake and cabins in groves of tall trees. During my first years at Wawayanda, at Frost Valley, I always knew that Speers was our sister camp, and visited a few times during my time as director. Anyway, it was good to be back there. We wandered around a lot and visited a group of little cabins in the woods - off from the rest of the buildings. To my surprise I learned that these were cabins from the Old Wawayanda - that they had been brought to nearby Speers at the time the Old Wawayanda property was sold off. I'll have to consult with Bud Cox to learn more specifically which cabins these are. My sense is that most the campers at the Andover NJ camp lived in platform tents. When were these little guys built? The Speers folks use them for storage. Below you have two photos and a short video.