Thursday, June 17, 2010

dialysis memory (2)

And here's Harry McCormack:

I always thought that dialysis campers were some of the happiest campers in general and their attitude towards camp, life and their illness was always amazing.

The first memory I thought of was of a dialysis camper called Justin (18 years old) who turned up two days late due to him being ill. He was clearly very fragile but so excited to be at Frost Valley. He joined up with the rest of Pac during our evening activity, Iron Chef, and you could tell he was nervous and shy. I asked him where he was from and he said Verona, New Jersey. On my last holdover weekend I had gone to an amazing restaurant called Original House of Pancakes - OHOP (not IHOP!!) so I asked him about it and his face lit up and he started telling me all about it. Two other Pac campers had overheard this and joined in all singing OHOP's praises. Before I even had a chance to put Justin in one of the groups, these two Pac campers asked him to join up with their group. It wasn't much but suddenly Justin's whole demeanour changed and he just went and started chopping some carrots and chatting to the guys in his group. It was great that something so simple as mutual love for pancakes could make someone feel at home so easily.

I also always loved doing the night meds run. Windsong were always lazy and took the golf cart so we would hide on the side of the road and jump out at the opportune moment generating some very loud screams which was always hilarious. Don't think I'll ever get old enough where I don't find that funny.