Monday, July 9, 2007

Mike McNamee, yesterday and today


Almost invariably after I've sent news out to the FV alumni listserv, I'll get a heartfelt though hurried note from our old Welsh pal, Mike McNamee, early-to-mid-80s camp heart-throb, soccer player extraordinaire, consummate egotist and superb counselor (about as hard-working a staff person as I'd ever known). Mike is now an academic, studying and teaching in the ethics & sociology of sports medicine. He co-authored a book called Pain and Injury in Sport: Social and Ethical Analysis. He is married (to Cheryl--herself a Frost Valley staff alumna, 1989) and has two beautiful daughters. Have I listed Mike's virtues sufficiently? Oh, and he had the high pure voice of an angel. Once at Hirdstock he stopped the show with a sneak-up-on-ya beautiful rendition of "Jerusalem."** Even the Totemites had tears in their eyes. Whether singing or not, Mac was always in fine voice. During his time as VC of Lenape, his village was often late to flag-raising. But Mike was there on time, sometimes standing in front of four or five sleepy-eyed Lenapeans whom he had persuaded to come down the hill with him while the others were still getting out of bed. I would make some remark about Lenape's habitual lateness but Mike had some instant, smoothly sonorous comeback, and that was that. Mike recently sent a photo of him today. Mike, I hope you and your family visit FV soon!

** The last verse goes:
Bring me my golden bow,
bring me my chariots of fire,
I shall not cease from mental strife
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land....